Join the Resilient SLO Resilience Roundtable!
We are forming a Resilience Roundtable, a community-led advisory body that will guide the approach and focus of Resilient SLO, provide input during critical points in the project timeline, and build City and stakeholder capacity to analyze and address climate impacts. The Roundtable will be made up of approximately 15 members and may include representatives from state, regional, and local agencies; professors from Cal Poly and other regional institutions; representatives from the Central Coast Climate Collaborative; public health officials; business owners; community organizations; and both traditional and non-traditional experts in climate adaptation.
Roundtable members will oversee a set of Working Groups focused on specific climate hazards and community vulnerabilities, such as wildfire, extreme heat, flooding, and more. Working Groups will be facilitated by two Roundtable members and comprised of stakeholders and community members who are not Roundtable members but have relevant experience.
Facing growing flood, heat, and wildfire risks, the City of San Luis Obispo launched Resilient SLO to build local and regional capacity to adapt and build resilience to climate change impacts.
Resilient SLO is designed to be a comprehensive, innovative, and inclusive planning process – one that elevates community voice in decision-making, utilizes best-available science and practices, and focuses on the real challenges that we face in the city of San Luis Obispo: climate change, the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, and economic uncertainty. The Resilient SLO initiative includes the following key components and activities:
- Robust community outreach and engagement to ensure community priorities and needs are included in the planning process with particular focus on the city’s under-served and under-resourced community members,
- Educational activities to ensure San Luis Obispo residents and businesses are equipped with the information, strategies, and supportive resources to prepare and build resilience to climate change risks and hazards,
- A comprehensive vulnerability assessment of the city’s physical assets, critical infrastructure, and social and economic conditions,
- An updated Safety Element of the Genera Plan with identified adaptation strategies across key sectors,
- An implementation guide that translates strategies into detailed work plans and model policies to catalyze action,
- Trainings for City staff and supporting organizations to build our collective capacity to respond to climate change hazards and disasters, and
- An Implementation Guide with work plans and model policies to catalyze action.
Resilient SLO Project Partners
Resilient SLO is a collaborative initiative led by the City of San Luis Obispo.
Stay in the loop on Resilient SLO!
Subscribe to emails for Resilient SLO to receive updates on the project, including upcoming opportunities to provide input and engage in the planning process.