View the current employment opportunities available at the Local Government Commission below.
Position Title: STATEWIDE LOCAL GOVERNMENT ENERGY EFFICIENCY BEST PRACTICES COORDINATOR
Full-time or Half-time
The Local Government Commission (LGC) – in partnership with the Institute for Local Government (ILG) and ICLEI Local Governments for Sustainability (ICLEI) through the Statewide Energy Efficiency Collaborative – is recruiting to fill the Statewide Local Government Energy Efficiency Best Practices Coordinator position (Local Government Energy Coordinator). Currently, funding for this position is secured through 2020, and is subject to annual renewal by the partnership.
The position was created by the California Public Utilities Commission in Decision (D. 09-09-47) for the 2010-12 Energy Efficiency program cycle. The position is funded by the Investor Owned Utilities (IOUs), PG&E, SDG&E, Southern California Edison, and Southern California Gas Company, and reports to the three statewide associations. The Local Government Energy Coordinator’s scope of work will be focused on assisting local governments to meet goals within the California Long-term Energy Efficiency Strategic Plan (Strategic Plan).
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Local Government Energy Coordinator and the three statewide associations work closely together to support and increase the effectiveness of local government climate and energy efficiency activities.
The Coordinator is responsible for:
- Assessing statewide progress toward achieving the local government energy and climate goals
- Provide targeted assistance to local governments to increase efficacy of climate and energy policies and programs
- Identify and promote climate and energy best practices and lessons learned
- Facilitating partnerships between local government energy staff
- Provide strategic support for local governments to maneuver successfully within the rapidly shifting energy sector
- Identify diverse funding opportunities to support for local government energy activities
- Provide strategic guidance and support for the Statewide Energy Efficiency Forum
- Coordinating closely with the three statewide organizations, ICLEI, ILG and LGC, to leverage and promote Statewide Energy Efficiency Collaborative resources.
- Demonstrated knowledge of energy efficiency issues, policies and practices, including understanding of local, regional and state policies, investor owned utility energy efficiency programs, and California Public Utilities processes.
- Knowledge of local government, including California local government planning, policy and administrative practices.
- Established reputation for leadership in energy efficiency, climate change and/or other sustainability areas.
- Excellent writing and oral presentation skills.
- Ability to work independently, while at the same time, collaborating closely with different organizations.
- A minimum five years’ experience in energy efficiency, sustainability, climate change or government.
SALARY & BENEFITS
The Local Government Energy Coordinator is a Local Government Commission employee located in Sacramento. The annual salary range of this position is between $60,000-$80,000 depending upon qualifications. This position can be structured as full time or half time depending on the candidate. The benefits package includes 100% employer-paid medical, dental and long-term disability coverage and a 401K retirement plan with an employer contribution equal to 4% of salary.
Applicants should send their resumes and cover letters describing their qualifications and interest in the position to Mary Davis at the Local Government Commission (email@example.com). Application priority deadline is January 31st.
Download the full position description.